First impressions count to potential buyers!
Make an entrance!
- Consider improving privacy by adding a low wall at the front of your house.
- Pave a pathway to your front door.
- Add interest to your doorway with potted plants.
- Invest in a new front door mat.
- Spruce up your front door with a coat of paint.
- If your hallway is dark and narrow, paint it a light colour.
Kitchen - the room that sells!
- Clear the clutter to make your cupboards and benches feel spacious.
- Cover any cooking splatters with a fresh coat of paint.
- New cupboard and drawer handles will add life to an old kitchen.
- Consider replacing scratched or stained bench tops with new laminate, or if your budget allows, granite or composite stone.
- Lift old lino and replace it with new lino, polished floorboards or tiles.
Sleeping in style
- Reduce the amount of furniture in small bedrooms to give the impression of space.
- Storage is important - consider adding built-in wardrobes or storing clothes with friends to create an illusion of space.
- De-personalise your bedroom but add little touches like candles and perfume bottles.
- Add some luxury with fresh linen, puffed pillows and extra cushions.
- Ensure all areas have been dusted, vacuumed and put new light bulbs in all rooms.
- Add colour to neutral rooms using accessories, but don't go overboard with patterned accessories, as they create a cluttered feeling.
- Keep window treatments simple.
- Disguise small windows by hanging curtains from the top of the wall, not the top of the window.
- Add elegance by extending your curtain drop so it pillows on the floor.
Lounge and dining
- Too much furniture will make your living areas look small. Remove any unessential items and store them with family or hire a storage space.
- Use neutral colours in your living space.
- Ensure your carpets are cleaned.
- Get marked or damaged timber floors re-sanded and polished.
- Ensure your bathroom is spotless, with clean tiles.
- If your bathroom is small, maximise space by putting the towel rail behind the door.
- Fix or replace cracked basins, toilets or tubs.
- Add a little luxury with fluffy towels, handmade soaps, boutique bath products and a plant or flowers.
- Air your bathroom before inspections - bad smells are a buyer turn off!
- Mow your lawns and weed your garden beds.
- Define your garden bed borders.
- Add a focal point using a sculpture, water feature or garden bench.
- Give the illusion of space in a courtyard by using large pavers.
- Introduce colour with pots of flowers.
- Plant a vegetable garden.